Breaking his silence for the first time amid heightened buzz that his exit was on the cards, Yediyurappa said: “Based on the instructions that the central leaders will give me on July 25, I will begin my work from July 26. We have a special programme on July 26 regarding 2 years of our government, after attending that programme, I will abide by the instructions from the national president.”
Yediyurappa’s government will complete two years in office on July 26.
Speaking to reporters in Bengaluru, he said his intention is to strengthen the party in the days to come and bring it back to power.
“Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Amit Shah (home minister) and our national President J P Nadda have a special love and faith towards me. You are aware that no position has been given to those who have crossed 75 years of age, but appreciating my work they have given me an opportunity despite me crossing 78 years,” Yediyurappa said.
Yediyurappa had visited Delhi last week, and had met Prime Minister Narendra Modi, home minister Amit Shah, defence minister Rajnath Singh and BJP president JP Nadda.
His Delhi trip had triggered speculations that he is on the way out and the party central leadership is working on a succession plan.
(With inputs from agencies)