NEW DELHI: Virat Kohli on Friday slammed an unbeaten double hundred to help India post a mammoth 601/5 declared in their first innings on Day 2 of the second Test against South Africa at the Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium. In the process, the Indian skipper piled up a slew of records in Pune.
Scorecard: India vs South Africa, 2nd Test
1. Kohli became the only Indian to smash 40 hundreds in international cricket as captain and is now just one behind Ponting’s record tally of 41 tons.
|Tests||ODIs||Total tons as captain|
3. Kohli also went past Bradman to become the player with the most 150 plus scores as Test captain. Bradman had achieved the feat eight times, Kohli has now done it nine times.
|Number of 150 plus scores as Test captain|
|No. of Tests as captain||No. of Test tons as captain|
5. Kohli slammed a career best 254 not out, his previous best was 243 against Sri Lanka, to break his own record of the highest individual score in Tests by Indian captains.
|Highest score by Indian captain||Venue|
|Virat Kohli||254* vs South Africa||Pune, 2019/20|
|Virat Kohli||243 vs Sri Lanka||Delhi, 2017/18|
|Virat Kohli||235 vs England||Mumbai, 2016/17|
|MS Dhoni||224 vs Australia||Chennai, 2012/13|
|Sachin Tendulkar||217 vs New Zealand||Ahmedabad, 1999/00|
6. With 26 Test tons, Kohli also surpassed Pakistan’s Inzaman-ul-Haq (25) to tie with West Indies’ Gary Sobers and Australia’s Steve Smith on the list of most centuries in Test cricket.
|Rank in the list of most Test tons||Batsman||Number of centuries|
7. Kohli also surpassed Dilip Vengsarkar’s tally of 6,868 runs to climb to the seventh position on the list of players with the most runs for India in the longest format of the game.